Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentine's Day

My little valentines were still home sick on Valentine's Day.  They still weren't feeling all the way better and they really weren't eating much.  So I tired to entice them to eat by making their food fun (but also very easy!)  So for breakfast I served heart shaped pancakes (yes, I free formed them), strawberries cut into a heart shape and I cut the center of the banana slices with a small heart cutter so they could push out a heart from the center.  Natalie did eat all her banana but nothing else.  Noah only ate the hearts out of the center of the banana and one pancake.
I made grilled cheese for lunch and cut hearts out but that didn't entice them to eat the sandwich.  After that I didn't do anything creative.

We made heart shaped crayons for N2's classmates at school.  Too bad they missed their Valentine's Day party. :(  But they took their valentines in the next day and passed them out.  We also sent the crayons to some cousins.

These were so simple to make!  I borrowed a silicon heart mold from a coworker.  I cut N2's crayons up into small pieces (I used a knife because the thick crayons are hard to break into small pieces).  N2 filled up the heart molds.  I put them in a 250 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Then I turned off the oven and left them inside for an hour or two to harden.  They I popped them in the freezer to hard even more.  They came out of the mold easily.  The only difficulty I had was attaching the hearts to the paper.  You really have to flatten the back of the crayon by coloring just on the back.  Glue dots didn't work (I had small ones) so I used red line tape and that held.

I made Valentine's Day cards by doing thumb prints and making them into a bunny.  I had tried other ideas first but those ideas didn't pan out.  I saw the idea for these as an Easter card but I figured they could be Valentine's Day card too.

No comments:

Post a Comment